Electrical hazards are real, and you must take precautions to make sure that you and your family remain safe. According to a report issued by the National Fire Protection Association in 2019, electrical failures or malfunctions were the second leading cause of U.S. home fires between 2012 and 2016.

There are several hidden electrical dangers in your home that may lead to an unfortunate event such as physical injury or fire.

Here are five ways to protect your home and your family from damages or injury from electrical issues.

1.Use proper watt light bulbs for lamps.

Lightbulbs themselves aren’t dangerous, but if the light fixture and the bulb aren’t compatible because the wattage is too high for the fixture, this could be dangerous. The light bulb may explode, or the socket or power cord that it’s plugged into may overheat and melt. The worst-case scenario is that this high watt light bulb can cause an electrical fire. This is why it is best to use the light bulb watt that is recommended for the fixture.

2.Plug high voltage items into the wall outlet instead of an extension cord.

Extension cords and power strips are very useful in the home. They allow one outlet to extend to create multiple electricity sources for the various technology used in the home. Phones, computers, lamps, and radios can share all one outlet and allow for greater enjoyment of these everyday items. However, the wrong things plugged into an extension cord or power strip can overwhelm and cause a fire. You should never plug high voltage items like refrigerators, microwaves, and space heaters into power strips.

3.Unravel your cords completely to prevent overheating.

Cords are long and freely hang for a reason; it’s not just there for aesthetics. If cords are bunched together or are still being held together with the original twisty tie from the packaging, this could cause the lines to overheat. To prevent overheating or an electrical fire, allow the cords to swing freely instead of being bunched up in knots.

4.Make sure that your home’s electrical system is up to date.

This is critical. You can suffer from electric shock because of faulty electrical wiring in the home. There may be old wires within the walls that need to be replaced, or the electrical breaker may need to be replaced. Outdated electrical systems can cause fires or worse still; it could cause someone in your home to be severely injured.

5.When in doubt, call the professionals out.

If you wonder how safe your electrical wiring or breaker unit is in your home, you don’t have to face this challenge alone. A professional electrician knows what to look for to determine whether your home or family is in danger from faulty wiring. The electrician will perform an inspection, usually free of charge, and inform you of what you need to do to protect your family from electrical issues in the home. The professional will also provide you with a quote for the things that need to be repaired or replaced.

It’s important to be aware of the threats that electrical hazards pose. You can keep your family and valuables safe by taking these precautions. The most important of all these precautions is contacting a professional electrician. Establishing regular inspections will allow the electrician to check for problems so that you can rest assured that your family is free from harm.

Bratcher Electric will make sure your home or business is up to code and safe. We are a full service electrical contracting firm that has been taking care of customers throughout Michigan for over 50 years. Complete customer satisfaction is our commitment for every job we perform. Our electrical services include new home wiring, generator service and installation, whole house fans, electrical code and service upgrades, surge protection, and much more!

If your home’s wiring and electrical codes are up to date, you are not only safe, but you are also saving money. Contact us today for a Free Consultation!